Monday, June 23, 2008

To My Mom

I love kids. I always have. I particularly adore those who I feel as if I can make some difference in their life, if only for a moment. Although I'm not much older than a child myself, I've had so many opportunities in my life already to work with kids from all walks of life. I've always admired their never ending zest for life- their big eyes open so wide in awe and their perfect (and sometimes toothless) grins.

Only recently though, have I noticed something else very special about them. While I've been playing at Walt Disney World I've met many young friends who come as brave cancer patients or in wheel chairs. Children who come without arms or the ability to talk. I've met children who come with cleft lips and Down's Syndrome and Autism. And in each of them I've seen what I love so much about children. A few days ago, I noticed something more though: I noticed the mom who stood strongly in the background. I realized the stress and absolute heart ache she must have endured. It hit me so strongly I almost wanted to cry on set.

And then I thought of my own Mom. My family has been blessed and she hasn't had to endure watching any of her children suffer like my special friends, but, as a Mom, she has felt stress and heart ache for her children. She feels my pain and she lets me make wrong decisions. Through it all though, she lets me learn and lets me dream. She and my sweet Dad support me in all I ever do and I could never thank them enough. I also have a Heavenly Father who has felt pain on my behalf. How loved we must all be to have parents- both on Earth and above- who want the very best for their children. If I could be half the mother my Mom is, or have a fraction of the strength the mothers of the children I met have, I would be an incredible Mom indeed. Thank you, Mom, for all your support and your superior example. I love you!

No comments: